Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Soccer: Our Family Fetish

Last night was the final game of U6 Spring 2010 Soccer. This was the 5th season the Big Guy has played, the 5th season his dad has coached, and the very first time the Little Guy got to be part of the team, too. My husband, in addition to coaching the boys for two seasons a year, also plays in two different over-30 leagues. Indoor, all year round, and outdoor in the spring and fall. Myself, I am relatively new to soccer, but for the past six or so years, I've been slowly transforming from a vocal supporter of our favorite club to a knowledgeable soccer fan. By no means would I ever call myself an expert - I am definitely still learning. I voraciously read everything I can about the strategy and tactics, the current players, and the various coaches. We're fans of British football, but both my husband I try to keep abreast of the happenings in other leagues. It makes us delighted beyond words that our sons love soccer as much as we do, and that they are being raised to play, live and breathe it.

So, it's not unusual to see our entire family dressed exactly the same on a weekend - of course, we'll all be wearing Manchester United jerseys. It's not unusual for Fox Soccer Channel to be almost constantly on our television while not one NFL game is ever turned on. It's not unusual for us that the Big Guy has a Manchester United duvet. It's not unusual that Little Guy could say "Liverpool - blech!" since he was 2.

We are a soccer family -- it's our fetish, our fixation, our faith.

1 comment:

  1. Hey hun, thought I'd drop you a quick comment to say Hey and that I'm now following your blog and added you to my blogroll.

    Hope you're well.

    I think it's good to see football bringing families together, Little man has got a try out for a football academy and Spurs boy is back into Sunday football and I work in the football industry too. Football gets interlinked very well

    ReplyDelete