Sunday, May 23, 2010

Aloha, LOST

It was the fall of 2004. I was still working on Capitol Hill, in the lobbying/political action division of a professional union. I was excited about the new television show premieres, because I was a new mommy (all of 9 months under my belt!) and the TV was my new social life. I replaced the happy hours, events, and fundraisers with watching my television -- which I could happily do while holding my sleeping baby.

So, I was very excited for Lost. (I also was excited for "Jack & Bobby" about the future president and "Dr. Vegas" with Rob Lowe, but - um, yeah.) The premise was very intriguing and hadn't been done before. Little did I know that this intrigue would morph into a six-year relationship with the passengers of Oceanic 815 and their adventures.

It's been a crazy ride, filled with polar bears, smoke monsters, time travel, "Others," fab '70s clothing, boars, and Sawyer with his shirt off. There are soooo many questions to be answered in the finale - who will be the caretaker of the island? What/where is the island? Is Ben good or bad? Who is Jack's baby mama? Most importantly, where is Vincent?

A lot of Lost fans I know have been analyzing, critiquing, and scrutinizing this journey every step of the way. There is a lot of pressure on the writers to make this finale something grand. There is no path to take that will please all of the Lost fans. But you know, what? From where I sit, that's okay. It doesn't matter how it all ends. For the last six years, the creators of Lost have entertained me, made me laugh, and made me cry. I have enjoyed every minute of being a 'Lostie.'

Aloha, LOST. It's been one helluva ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment