Friday, May 21, 2010

Hello, my name is FWM.

There are all kinds of mommies out there. There are working moms, stay-at-home moms, moms who work from home, etc, etc...but I belong to that crazy group known as "Formerly Working Moms."

Being a member of this group manifests itself in many ways. I have laminated grocery lists, spreadsheets for vacation planning, and intricate schedules that chart my sons' summer activities. Now, don't get me wrong -- all this would imply that I miss getting up everyday and going to the office. I don't. I do, however, miss feeling passionate about something, the sensation of accomplishment that comes with completing a project, and throwing my energy into a thing which results in an actual, physical, work product output.

One of the things that made me good at my job was my ability to organize, execute, and follow-through. And now, my world and the things in it have changed, but those obsessions - um, I mean qualities - in me have not. These days, I don't dissect the proposed budget for the Justice Department and create a memo with graphs and analysis for my boss, or scrutinize a potential tax cut package. Instead, I study the crowd flow patterns and weather for Walt Disney World to determine when we should go. I breakdown my grocery list based on where different items can be found in the supermarket. I compare and contrast summer camps and break-down timing and value of each.

So, my meticulous planning and researching every aspect of our family's life might be a tad bit of overkill and smidge unnecessary (not to mention a damper on spontaneity) but it's really hard to turn off that part of you that has been ingrained with the protocols of the corporate world! Besides, those Disney World spreadsheets come in preeeetttyy handy...!

No comments:

Post a Comment