Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Riding the Rooney-Coaster...

I think using the word "tumultuous" to describe last week is the understatement of the year. (I am so emotionally drained by this situation I couldn't even bring myself to write about it until today!) It all started when we, the United faithful, began to hear rumors on Sunday (after drawing with West Brom the previous day) that our beloved Wayne Rooney wanted to leave Manchester United.

Wayne Rooney has come to personify our team. For better or worse, he is the current face of United, and most people, supporters and not, identify him as an integral part of this team. In fact, earlier in the year, Rooney went so far as saying he would love to sign a lifelong contract with the club -- expressing the desire to play for the Red Devils forever.

On Tuesday, October 19th, our stalwart manager, Sir Alex Ferguson confirmed these rumors and my darkest fears. Wayne Rooney, indeed, wanted to leave United. The next day, in a statement, Rooney himself verified it. There were a whole host of issues surrounding this change of heart, and United fans across the globe debated the motivation for this. Was our man looking for more money? Did he really feel the current squad wasn't up to par? Did any of it really matter, as Wayne's form has been lackluster in the past 6 months?

I, of course, as all United fans did, had my own opinions on the situation. But, being a mother, I had one concern that trumped all the others - how was my Big Guy going to react to the news?

Big Guy has always been indoctrinated with United love ever since birth. However, ever since he really started to 'get' football and play it himself, he has loved Wayne Rooney. Number 10 is his favorite player, and as much as I hate to admit that my boy idolizes an athlete, Wayne Rooney is Big Guy's hero. Last week, as Rooney was spouting his hurtful and insulting comments about our cherished team, all that kept running through my mind was, "How in the world am I going to break this news to him?" I knew he'd be inconsolable; after all, I was taking away his first boyhood role model.

As I gently told him, he started to cry and then stopped himself. I could see him making a decision in his little head. "Don't tell me. It's not true." And he just began to refuse to believe it! For two entire days, he just ignored the facts and pretended it wasn't happening. Burying his head in the sand to say the least.

Finally, after meetings with the owners and manager, Rooney did a complete 180 and signed a 5-year contract with the club! On one hand, I was exuberant - I told Big Guy straight away that Sir Alex convinced Rooney that staying with the club was the right thing to do (true or not). He'd be able to keep wearing his precious Rooney top and watching his hero play in a red jersey. On the other hand, his mother is not so forgiving. I was a huge Rooney fan, too, but this whole ride has made me wary. You better watch your step, Wayne Rooney. If you ever break my child's heart again, there will be hell to pay.

No comments:

Post a Comment